Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's/Family Day. I'm Living the Dream 6/19/2011

6/16/2011 3 lb 4.8 oz
6/17/2011 3 lb 4.9 oz
6/18/2011 3 lb 7 oz
6/19/2011 3 lb 7.4 oz

As many of you know, today is Father's day.  Unfortunately, I'm not able to be with my Father in Longview.  Anyone who knows me intimately knows how important family is to me.  It isn't something I take lightly.  The time we have with our family is to be cherished.  Father's Day is a day I grew up celebrating with my family.  As a kid, I looked forward to presenting my dad a gift that my mother paid the majority of.  As I got older, I was able to buy something with my own money.  Most of the time, dad would still be in the bed when we presented him the gifts.  He worked a 12 hr. night shift at the can plant in Longview.  Sunday morning was usually the end of his shift.  He would get home at 6:30 a.m. in the morning, get a few hours of sleep, and wake up to go to church.  

Today was a different Father's day for me.  Today, I traveled to the hospital with Christal to wake-up Aliyah!  She didn't get off work this morning, but she has her hands full learning how to breath and maintain her own body temperature.   We got there in time for feeding.  Aliyah is still receiving 30 mL of milk every three hours.  During this feeding, I held her in the cradling position.  This is the second time I've held her this way.  Normally, we are skin to skin (kangaroo).  The cradle position allows me to look at her and kiss her as she eats through the feeding tube.  We gave her a pacifier to suck during feeding.  It is important for her to get her jaw muscles built up so that she can begin nursing in a few weeks.  Yesterday, Dr. Santiago indicated most premes born before 30 weeks stay after their original due date.  He hinted that Aliyah may leave on or before her's!  I will be praying that to fruition.   

Today Aliyah's nurse Stacey took the most important picture to date.  It was a picture of our family!  The 2nd picture is another one I will cherish.  I always put my finger out with hope that Aliyah will hold it.  She held on today for a while.  I loved every minute of it.  She is a special little girl!

Aliyah, I want you to know mom and dad are preparing a place for you.  We can't wait to bring you home.  You made my day today!
  
God bless each and everyone of you.  Happy Father's Day!  

Barry G.
 
P.S. Thanks for the great dinner today Christal!  You know what you mean to Aliyah and I!



No comments:

Post a Comment